Third party liability insurance

Forty Plus Cycling Club membership does not include third party liability insurance.  You are advised to have suitable cover e.g. through Cycling UK or British Cycling membership or your household insurance.  LCC do standalone insurance for £9.50.  Without insurance you could be liable if, for example, you rode into a car or caused an accident through negligent cycling.  Listed below are some organisations that provide third party liability insurance.  The list is not comprehensive.

Cycling UK

The Cycling UK offer world wide (except USA and Canada) liability insurance up to £10m (including electric bikes but excluding competitive cycling) as well as free legal advice and a bimonthly magazine.  Full membership is £28.50 for the over 65s/unwaged.  If you are under 65, full membership is £43 (£27 for second members at the same address). 20% savings are available if you take out 5 year's membership.  More details…

If you have been a Cycling UK member for a long time, it may be well worth taking out life membership, instead of renewing a yearly membership.  More details…

You can take out the Cycling UK affiliated membership, without being a full member, through the Forty Plus membership secretary.  This costs £24 pa.  The benefits include third party liability insurance and the ability to ride with any Cycling UK Member Group, but you may not be a Cycling UK club officer or lead Cycling UK rides, you do not get the magazine and there may be some restrictions on access to free legal advice.

British Cycling

British Cycling offer various levels of membership.  The cheapest membership, including third party liability insurance (up to £10m), is "ride" membership at £33.  If you need cover for competitive cycling, you will have to take out Silver Race membership at £41 pa.  The insurance excludes the USA and Canada.  Discounts on your first year's membership may be available through the Forty Plus general secretary or various websites.  More details…

LCC (London Cycling Campaign)

Standalone 3rd party insurance for £9.50.  Or join the LCC (don’t have to live in London) for £19, if over 65 or unemployed, which includes third party liability insurance (to £5m) excluding USA & Canada, free legal advice and a bimonthly magazine.  If you are under 65 and in work, the cost is much higher (£40 individual; £67.50 couple plus children under 16).  More details…

LVRC (League of Veteran Racing Cyclists)

Open to anyone over 40. Covers all cycling (excluding commuting) in UK only by registered members up to £10m.  Membership costs £20.  More details…

Tandem Club

You do not have to have a tandem to join the tandem club.  Membership is £10 for up to two people and unlimited numbers of dependents under 17 at the same address (+50p for each additional adult member).  (Savings available if you take out 5 year's membership.)  Membership includes liability insurance (up to £2m) in the UK (on solos as well as tandems) who are not already covered by another scheme e.g. house contents insurance.  You also get a bimonthly magazine.  Competitive cycling is excluded.

Your house contents insurance will probably include “Personal and Occupier's liability”

Cover may vary from policy to policy and claims will generally be subject to an excess and may affect your future premiums.  For example, one member's standard policy covers up to £2m "legal liability for damages and claimant's costs incurred by the family in respect of accidents resulting in injury to any person or loss or damage to property".  Among the exclusions is injury, loss or damage caused by "mechanically propelled or motorised vehicles (other than ...)".  The company confirmed the member was covered for any damage caused by their bike/themselves and a bicycle (without a motor) was not considered a mechanically propelled vehicle.  You are advised to check with your insurance company before relying on them for third party liability insurance.  Any claim could affect your future premium.

Prices correct as at September 2015

Please use the Contact Us form if you think this page needs updating.